Neighbourhoods located in Cumberland Township:
|Leonard Martins Corners|
|Navan River Walk|
|Town Centre (Orleans)|
This neighbourhood was non-existent until the late 1990s when the urban sprawl intensified in the east end. Avalon quickly developed in the area and is now bordered to the north by Innes Road, to the east by a line following (from north to south) Portobello Blvd to Brian Coburn Blvd to Trim Road, the west by Mer Bleue Road and to the south by Wall Road. According to the Canada 2011 Census, this area had a population of 12,455. The development of the area slowed when the developer had to return to previously built houses to fix foundations. Some have criticized the builder for building on swampland without proper engineering.
At the intersection of Innes and Tenth Line, a large commercial zone with several department and big-box stores developed in conjunction of the residential boom of Avalon. This new district displaced some customers away from Place d’Orleans. A smaller commercial area is currently underway on Trim Road south of Innes.
Plans by the city of Ottawa may bring an east-west light-rail line in the area but it was still several years away. However, the cancellation of the north-south extension project on December 14, 2006 may halt those plans.
The neighbourhood is part of the Portobello South Community Development Association, which also includes Notting Gate and Notting Hill.
In the mid 19th century, during the early days of colonization, the Bear Brook was used by loggers for floating timber to sawmills, a few of which operated in Carlsbad Springs from 1854 to 1905. It was also used by settlers for transportation to their homesteads. However the brook was too small and dry in the summer, and its use for transportation was quickly discontinued upon completion of Russell Road. All the surrounding mature forests have been logged, and consequently the brook drains faster.
Part of the city’s Cumberland Ward, the residential development is bordered to the north by Innes Road, to the west by Mer Bleue Road, the east by Tenth Line Road and to the south by the future Blackburn Hamlet Bypass. The community includes a mixture of single family, semi-detached, town homes, and bungalows. Tamarack commenced the first phase of construction in Spring 2008. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the population was 766.
Past OC Transpo plans saw a potential O-Train light train line to the area; however, some controversy and the December 14, 2006 cancellation of a previous proposal halted the plans.
Taggart Realty Management are responsible for the future commercial development of the Chaperal Centre, to be located at the corner of Tenth Line Road and Brian Coburn.
Cumberland is a large village on the Ottawa River, in the city of Ottawa. It was part of the historic Township of Cumberland, and was originally part of Russell County, joining the Region of Ottawa-Carleton in the 1960s. In 1999, the township became the short lived City of Cumberland which amalgamated into the City of Ottawa in 2001. While the community of Cumberland was located in the City of Cumberland, it only made up a small percentage of the population of the city. Population: 2,647 (2001).
The community which was formerly part of the city of Cumberland has rapidly developed over the past two decades and there are new developments underway. Fallingbrook’s development commenced in 1985, while before it was farmlands. In 2012 its population is over 25,000. Mainly families choose to live in Orléans because of the many surrounding elementary schools and high schools. In total there are two secondary high schools and eight elementary schools in the area including a recreational complex with a daycare. Attached to the Ray Friel Centre, which is the complex, is the only community’s public library.
The Fallingbrook Community Association plays a big part in bringing the town together. To help reunite the community, they hold various local events that encourage people to get active within their community. Among these program and events are Canada Day, Summerfest, Neighbourhood Watch program and a community garage sale in the early springtime.
One of Fallingbrook’s natural beauties is Princess Louise Falls that can be found below Princess Louise Drive. The falls are hidden by foliage from view and access is granted by pedestrian trails.
Notre Dame des Champs
The Navan Fair is an annual event that takes place in the summertime, typically in August. It is held at the fairgrounds off of Colonial Road. The fair currently features midway rides, live music, concession stands, demolition derbies, exhibitions, parades, and various shows. The first fair took place in 1946. The admission for the first year of the fair was 35 cents for adults, 25 cents for children, and 25 cents for cars.
- GAMBINOS ENDS
- JT Bradley’s, general store originally built in 1898 but rebuilt in 1949 after it burned down in 1948.
- Navan Memorial Centre and Arena, built in 1955, and completely rebuilt in 1982 after the 1955 arena was condemned.
- OC Transpo Park and Ride (at Memorial Centre)
- Navan Curling Club, opened in 1990.
- Heritage Public School, officially opened on September 5, 2006 to replace Meadowview Public School, which closed down in 2004.
- The Shaw House, located on the northwest corner of Trim Road and Smith Road, is a historic house built in 1876.
- The Domes, installed in the fairgrounds, originally used for the Papal Mass when Pope John Paul II visited Canada.
- St Mary’s Anglican church constructed of local limestone and completed in 1898
- Navan Vars United Church dedicated in 1926
Notable people from Navan
- Genevieve Thauvette, a notable creative photographer, is a native of Navan.
- Érik Bédard, a professional baseball player, is also a native of Navan.
Transit in Navan
OC Transpo route 202 Orleans (Tuesdays only at 9:15 to Orleans)(fare free)
OC Transpo route 202 Cumberland (Tuesdays only at 15:08 to Cumberland)(fare free)
OC Transpo route 231 Albert and bay (Weekdays only at 6:00, 6:28, 7:11) (fare exsperss)
OC Transpo route 231 Sarsfield (Weekdays only at 16:25, 17:03, 18:00) (fare exsperss)
The first residents of Sarsfield were mostly French-Canadians from Lower Canada. In 1854, families began to establish in the Sarsfield region. Family names at that time included: Potvin, St-Denis, D’Aoust, Lafrance and Ethier. One of these colonizers, Sévère D’Aoust, bought land from the Crown and later gave part of this land for the construction of a Roman Catholic church. The construction of this church had such an impact on the village that it was known as Daoust’s Corner. The region was also known as Bear Brook. Construction for the new church was completed in 1886. Today, the church still stands and is known as St-Hugues. The church celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2011. In June 2011, strong winds and intense lightning caused the churches’s steeple to fall off. It was replaced a few months later.
The village was renamed Sarsfield in 1874 when an Irishman, Michael O’Meara, opened a post office and gave it the name of an Irish hero, Patrick Sarsfield. In 2000, the Township of Cumberland was amalgamated to the City of Ottawa.
Don Boudria former Liberal Party of Canada MP from 1984 to 2006, and Government House Leader
Ferdinand Larose (1888 – 1955), agronomist, who planted the Larose Forest was born in Sarsfield.
There are four elementary level schools serving the needs of young students in the neighbourhood.
- Our Lady of Wisdom Catholic School – English Catholic elementary School
- École élémentaire catholique Reine-des-Bois – Catholic French language elementary school
- Dunning-Foubert Elementary School – English public elementary school
- La Source – French language public elementary school
- Queenswood Public School, one of the oldest schools in the neighbourhood, was closed in June 2008 due to low enrollment and rising costs with its students being transferred to nearby Dunning-Foubert.
Vars has a French elementary school called St-Guillaume, two churches (one Anglican and one Roman Catholic), and an outdoor skating rink located in Alcide Trudeau Park. There are few businesses, including a corner store, and a pizzeria. The town’s fire station, Ottawa Fire Service’s Station 73, was relocated and rebuilt in 2007 and is now located at the south end of Frank Kenny Road. The local softball teams for children and teenagers, the Vars Vipers and the Vars Vikings, are sponsored by local businesses.
The Bear Brook area, where Vars is located, was first colonized in 1824. By 1836 a small settlement began to form. The brook originally got its name from the plentiful amount of bears that foraged on acorns produced from the large quantities of oaks found alongside its sides. A Mr. Dunning set up a sawmill operation that used logs that had been channelled down through Bear Brook, and which continued on eastward to the South Nation River, the Ottawa River and finally to the St. Lawrence Seaway. Bear Brook now flows with less than half the water it did when settlers first arrived. By the time the mill was set up the town consisted of a hotel, many stores and approximately 200 people in which the vast majority were English speaking of Irish descent.
In 1881, the area was named Bearbrook Station. A train station was built which would help transport logs towards the St. Lawrence. In 1886, the community reached a large enough population to gain a post office, which lightened the work load for Mr. Jack Young, who had previously brought the mail in by horse and by snowshoe in winter. Bearbrook Station was difficult to distinguish from the nearby community of Bearbrook; therefore, it was renamed to Vars. There are two stories of how Vars got its name. The first, is that with the building of the new post office, the people of Bearbrook Station decided to name the community after the four people who brought the post office to the area: Mc(V)eigh, (A)rmstrong, (R)onan, and (S)mith. The second story is that the town was given the name by a retired priest from Embrun, Abbé C. Guillame, in memory of the village of Vars, Hautes-Alpes, in France.
In 1915, permanent sidewalks were built in the main community area. In 1931, the community streets were lit up by their first street lights, one year earlier than the neighbouring community of Cumberland.