Dalmeny is a dispersed rural community located near the source of the South Castor River in the Osgoode Ward of Ottawa. The population of the surrounding area is about 225.
Prior to amalgamation in 2001, Dalmeny was in Osgoode Township.
Greely is a quickly growing rural community in Osgoode Ward in the southern end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, it was part of the Township of Osgoode. It has been a part of the City of Ottawa since. Greely is currently the largest rural village in terms of land area and the third largest in terms of population in the City of Ottawa. According to the Greely Community Association, it is bounded on the east by Sale Barn Road and Greyscreek Road, on the north by Mitch Owens on the west by Manotick Station Road, and on the south by Snake Island Road. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population within these boundaries was 9,049. It is in the parliamentary riding federally and provincially of Nepean-Carleton, and Osgoode Ward.
Greely is home to a set of tight-knit and unique communities throughout the village. Most homes sit on ½ acre to 2-acre (8,100 m2) lots. Some developers offer condominium-like amenities such as pools, tennis courts, man-made lakes, beaches, and small neighbourhood community centres within their residential communities. The Greely Community Centre hosts meetings and activities for the entire rural town. Every year, they organize a Winter Carnival and a renowned Canada Day celebration.
Throughout the last eight years Greely has seen a 58.7% increase in the number of dwellings. Greely’s increasingly rapid growth can be attributed to its rural atmosphere and easy access to Ottawa’s urban centre. Furthermore, Greely presently has several large areas of undeveloped land within its boundaries. Greely’s boundaries currently contain enough land for approximately twenty-two years of residential growth based on current development patterns.
Greely has a strong commercial district housing many small and medium manufacturing and services companies. It has a spattering of businesses to provide the community with essentials, including 2 gas stations, 3 pizzerias, a 24-hour Grocery Store located on Meadow Drive, and a couple of restaurants. Residents are eagerly anticipating new commercial developments around Parkway Road and Bank St.
All Saints Anglican Church
Parkway Road Pentecostal Church
Our Lady of the Visitation (Not actually in Greely, but on the border. Many Greely residents attend this church, and they hold events in Greely.)
Castor Valley Elementary School
Greely Elementary School
St. Mary Elementary School (Not actually in Greely, but on the border. Many Greely children attend this school.)
The Greely branch of the Ottawa Public Library was opened in 1976, after receiving approval from Osgoode Township Council, with the local fire department agreeing to let them use their meeting room for the branch. During the 1990s, the Osgoode Township Library Board received a grant from the Ontario government to build a new branch, but the building never came to fruition. In 2009, the community secured funding for a brand new 3,500-square-foot (330 m2) library to be built as an extension to the Greely Community Centre at 1448 Meadow Drive. The new facility opened its doors on March 14, 2011.
Kenmore is a rural community in Osgoode Ward in the southeastern corner of the City of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, it was located in Osgoode Township. It consists of a small commercial centre flanked by two small residential neighbourhoods and farmland. Notable features include Kenmore Bicentennial Park, Kenmore Community Centre, and the Castor River, a tributary of the South Nation River. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the surrounding blocks was 501.
Currently, the commercial centre of Kenmore consists of simply a small Canada Post postal station.
Significant local events include the Royal Canadian Legion honouring of war dead with a Remembrance Service every November at the Kenmore cenotaph. There is a Kenmore Women’s Institute, and the Kenmore Community Association meets regularly at Kenmore Hall.
The site of the townhall was settled in 1830 by former Rideau Canal construction worker John McDonald. The village was first settled in 1840, and laid out by Peter McLaren. The post office was established in 1853, with Archibald Dewar appointed postmaster. In 1857 the citizens asked resident Squire Peter McLaren to choose between “Glen Lyon” and “Kenmore” as the village name. He chose Kenmore for his home in Perthshire, Scotland.
The Carkner Mill (a sawmill) was built on the banks of the Castor River in 1857. It was enlarged in 1883 to manufacture cheese boxes. At its zenith, the mill employed 30 people and used logs driven down the Castor River.
By 1866, Kenmore was a post village with a population of about 80 of the township of Osgoode, on the Castor creek; the postmaster was Moses E. Tabid. It contained three stores, one flouring and saw mill, pearl ash factory and tannery. There was one church, Baptist, erected in 1851, of frame. The citizens included Mr Cowan, general merohant; Donald I McArthur, blacksmith; Michael Gillesia, general merchant & potash manufacturer; and John McDiarmid, flour and saw mill proprietor.
In 1900, a former resident of Kenmore Ontario, John McMaster, leased land at the north end of Lake Washington in Washington State, USA. He started a sawmill and shingle operation on Jan 1, 1901. He named the area Kenmore, Washington after his former home of Kenmore, Ontario, registering the name with the State of Washington on January 10, 1901.
Marionville is a dispersed rural community in Russell Township, located on the border with the City of Ottawa and North Dundas. The community is located about 750m northwest of the East Castor River. The population of the blocks surrounding the community was 238 according to the Canada 2011 Census. Marionville is situated approximately 37 kilometres southeast of Downtown Ottawa (45 km by road).
Metcalfe is a population centre located in Osgoode Ward, in the rural south-end of the city of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the community was in Osgoode Township. According to the Canada 2011 Census it has a population of 1,763.
Colonel Archibald Macdonell, believed by some to be the first settler in Osgoode Township, settled just south of the current location of Metcalfe in March 1827. The village was originally called Osgoode, but in 1877 it was renamed to Metcalfe in honour of Charles Theophilus Metcalfe, Governor General of Canada from 1843 to 1846.
In its early days, Metcalfe was a stop on the stagecoach route from Ottawa (known at the time as Bytown) to Cornwall. The village of Metcalfe was bypassed in the construction of railway lines, limiting its further growth. The railway line to Cornwall passed to the east, through the town of Russell, while another to Prescott passed to the west through Osgoode Village.
By 1866, Metcalfe was a post village with a population of 250 of the township of Osgoode, nine miles from the Osgoode station on the Ottawa and Prescott Railway, and twenty miles from Ottawa. The village contained four general stores, an ashery, one wagon shop, five boot and shoe shops, and three carpenters. The 6th Division Court was held here, at the Victoria Hall. It contained the Metcalfe grammar school, and a common school; three churches, the Church of England, the Free Church of Scotland, and the Wesleyan Methodist. The Loyal Orange Lodge No. 205, met on the second Tuesday in each month while No. 688, met on the first Tuesday in each month.
In the fall of 2008, parts of Metcalfe were used as sets in the filming of the Syfy television film Carny.
Metcalfe Public School
St. Catherine Catholic School
Community Christian School
Osgoode Township High School – The only high school in the township of Osgoode.
The village is home to various sports facilities, most notably the Metcalfe Community Centre which bears the name of former Montreal Canadiens all-star defenceman Larry Robinson. The Centre’s arena houses the local Junior B hockey team: the Metcalfe Jets. Notable Jets alumni include Larry Robinson and two of his brothers, as well as Boston Bruins’ Marc Savard. It also hosts the Metcalfe skating club for figure skating and canskate.
The small community also boasts the home to one golf course (Metcalfe Golf Club), seven baseball fields, a tennis court, curling club, and various soccer fields.
The village today serves largely as a residential community for the City of Ottawa. The local agricultural fair, the Metcalfe Fair, has been held each fall since 1856.
Osgoode (also known as Osgoode Village) is a population centre in Osgoode Ward in the rural south end of Ottawa. It is located just 2km east of the Rideau River. Until amalgamation in 2001, it was located in Osgoode Township. According to the Canada 2011 Census Osgoode had a population of 2,453.
It was originally part of Osgoode Township but it became part of Ottawa in 2001. Originally called Osgoode Station, its name was shortened to Osgoode in 1962. The community took its name from William Osgoode, the first Chief Justice of Upper Canada.
Notable landmarks of the community include the Stuart Holmes Arena hockey, the Osgoode Community Centre and its surrounding recreation facilities, the local mall and numerous shops within the village.
Vernon is a compact rural community in Osgoode Ward in the southern part of the city of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, Vernon was located in Osgoode Township. According to the Canada 2011 Census the surrounding blocks had a population of 750.
Osgoode Baptist Church
Osgoode Presbyterian Church
St. George’s Anglican Church
Vernon United Church
The Vernon branch of the Ottawa Public Library makes its home in an 1882 heritage building that was the community’s one-room schoolhouse. It was recently renovated to have a new washroom and bell tower. The library has a wheelchair ramp.
Vernon is the home of the Osgoode Township Historical Society and Museum. It was founded by a group of dedicated senior citizens working with a New Horizons grant. The collection has grown tremendously and the Society now operates a Museum and Archives housed in two buildings with over 10,000 square feet (930 m2) of display space. The large body of archival material and artifacts reflect the agricultural history of the Township of Osgoode.
The Vernon post office is located in the old Ford Motor dealership.