Neighbourhoods located in South Ottawa:
Ambleside is a small sub-neighbourhood of Woodroffe North in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded in the West and North by the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway, in the East by New Orchard Avenue (North), and in the South by Richmond Road. The total population of this area was 2,560 according to the Canada 2011 Census.
It consists largely of high rise apartments or condominiums, built in the 1970s, but has some businesses on Richmond Road. There is a small park also on Richmond Road, and the parkland of the Parkway forms its northern and Eastern sides. There are no churches or schools in its area.
It is served by the #2 bus on the south and the #153 bus on all its streets. There is planned to be a station of the western extension to the new Light Rail Transport system being built, at New Orchard Avenue.
Bel-Air Heights (also spelled Bel Air Heights) is a neighbourhood in College Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the east by Agincourt Road, on the south by Baseline Road, on the west by Navaho Drive and on the north by the Central Experimental Farm Pathway. The neighobourhood is mostly a middle class housing neighbourhood. The lower income housings are closer to Baseline Rd.
Most of the homes were built in 1959 and 1960. There are a few apartments on Baseline and Navaho that were built later on. The neighbourhood has three parks; Agincourt Park, Ainsley Park and Navaho Park. For schools there is Agincourt Public School, J.H. Putman Public School, Charlotte Lemieux French School and Woodroffe High School.
The population of the area is roughly 2500.
Bel-Air Park (also spelled Bel Air Park) is a neighbourhood in College Ward in the west end of Ottawa, Canada. It is bounded on the east by the Experimental Farm Pathway, on the south by Baseline Road, on the west by Woodroffe Avenue and on the north by the Queensway.
All of the homes were built between 1955 and 1958. The neighbourhood is home to Bel-Air Park on Berwick Avenue. Iris Street is the main road in the neighbourhood. Bel-Air Drive starts at Checkers Road and ends in Braemar Park on Garfield close to Maitland Drive. For schools there is Agincourt Public School, J. H. Putman Public School, St.Daniel’s Catholic School, Torah Academy Jewish School (Formerly St. Andrew’s Adult High School) located on Lazard Street, Charlotte Lemieux French School and Woodroffe High School. The population of the neighbourhood is roughly 1700.
Braemar Park is a neighbourhood in College Ward in the west end of Ottawa, Canada. It is bounded on the north by the Queensway, east on Maitland Drive, south by the Central Experimental Pathway and west by J. H. Putman Public School.
The homes were built between the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the houses are middle- high class families. On Riddell Street South, there are some townhouses. Originally, Riddell Street started on Carling Avenue in Glabar Park. When highway 417 was built in 1967, the road split up and was called north and south. The road ended on Garfield Drive.
The west side of the neighbourhood contains Garfield Park and J. H. Putman Public School. The community is just off the bike path owned by the NCC. The population of the neighbourhood is roughly 450.
Britannia (also known as Britannia Bay or Britannia Village) is a group of neighbourhoods in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is located on the Ottawa River across from Aylmer, Quebec, adjacent to its namesake, Brittania Bay, north of Carling Avenue and west of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway. The area constituted a municipal ward from 1973 to 1994 (Britannia Ward).
The area has a mix of low and high income housing. The lower income areas of the area are closer to Richmond Road in the south, and the more affluent areas are located in the community of Britannia Village in the north, which includes the Britannia Yacht Club at the north end of Britannia Road. The total population of the area was 8,355 as of the 2011 census.
Many of Britannia’s old cottages live on as bungalows. Surrounded by water, forest, and hills.
The Ottawa River Pathway is a very long segment of Capital Pathway along the south bank of almost the entire length Ottawa’s portion of the Ottawa River. A bike path extends from Britannia some 12 kilometers to the Parliament buildings downtown. Today, there is probably no neighbourhood in Ottawa more mixed than Britannia forming a contrast with many of the homogenized satellite communities that have become Ottawa.
Britannia Heights is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward in west end of Ottawa. The neighbourhood is a sub-neighbourhood of Britannia area of the city, but is within the Queensway Terrace North Community Association boundaries. The neighbourhood is away from the Ottawa River on a steep hill. It is bounded to the North by Carling Avenue, east by OC Transpo Transitway, south by Henley Street, and west by Bayshore Drive. The population of the neighbourhood is approximately 1750.
The first land entrepreneur in the community was William Mosgrove whose registered plan in 1908 paved the way for 47 average-sized lots on Pinecrest Road and a parallel street named St. Louis (now Pinewood Crescent.) Most of the homes were built between the 1930s to the 1960s. After 1970, many townhouses and condominiums were built until the 1980s.
The main streets of the neighbourhood are Richmond, Carling, Alpine, Connaught and Pinecrest. Britannia Heights United Church is on Pinecrest Drive. The community is home to Frank Ryan Park and the Old Forge.
Grant Alternative School (formerly Grant Public School) is now a heritage site of Ottawa. The school was built in 1922 and closed in 1987. The school re-opened as an alternative school in 1991 and closed in 2007. As of 2013, the school will be renovated into a Francophone community center for the growth population of French people and a nursing home as well. It will also be part of a campus for La Cite Collegiate.
Carlington is a neighbourhood located in River Ward in the west-end of Ottawa. The community association boundaries are Clyde Avenue to the west, Carling Avenue to the north, Fisher Avenue to the east and the Central Experimental Farm Pathway to the south.
Carlington contains less than 435 older pre-1945 homes, primarily along Fisher Avenue. Some 2000 dwellings were built from 1945 to 1960. The houses built in the time period immediately following World War II were meant for returning veterans and are therefore known as “war homes” or “veteran homes”. Many of the street names in the neighbourhood also reflect this military heritage (e.g. Viscount Ave, Admiral Ave, General Ave, Marshall Ave, Veteran Ave, Crerar Ave.). From 1961 to 1970, 1440 homes and apartments were built and from 1971 to 1980, another 1380. After 1981, the construction of new dwellings sharply dropped to less than 400 for the remainder of the 20th century. Today there are new homes being built as some of the veterans homes are demolished.
A notable geographic feature in the neighbourhood is Carlington Hill, a large hill with long gradual slopes. Part of it was formerly a ski hill with tow lift (known as Anne Heggtveit Hill), but now used as a City of Ottawa approved sledding hill. The western part of the hill was quarried for limestone, which was crushed and used as lime for the production of cement. The former quarry is now used as a city snow dump. Also on top of the hill is the Carlington Heights Reservoir and Pump Station which supplies approximately one third of the City’s water.
The neighbourhood is home to Westgate Shopping Centre and the Royal Ottawa Hospital. Merivale Road is Carlington’s traditional main street and goes through the centre of residential Carlington. There are five places of worship; St. Elizabeth’s of the Visitation Roman Catholic Church, Église Catholique Romain de Saint-Bonaventure, Church of God of Prophecy, Agudath Israel Congregation Synagogue and St Tekle Haimanot Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, the only Ethiopian Orthodox church in Ottawa.
The Carlington Business Area is west of Kirkwood, north of Carlington Hill, south of the Queensway (417), and east of Maitland.The main streets are Laperierre and Woodward.
Civic Hospital (French: Hôpital Civic) is a neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward in central Ottawa. It is named after the Ottawa Civic Hosptial, which is located in the neighbourhood. The Ottawa Royal Hospital is also located in this neighbourhood.
Civic Hospital is bounded on the west by Island Park Drive, on the north by Queensway, on the east by Railway Street and on the south by Carling Avenue. The population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 4,985. The area is part of the Civic Hospital Neighbourhood Association. The main streets in the neighbourhood are Parkdale Drive, Sherwood Drive, and Holland Avenue ending at Tunney’s Pasture.
The neighbourhood is served by Carling Station on the O-Train Trillium Line. It is served by four schools, Elmdale Public School (JK – Grade 6), Fisher Park Public/Summit Alternative School (Grades 7 -8), Devonshire Public School (JK – 6) and Connaught Public School (JK – 6), all of which are in adjacent neighbourhoods. The area was known as Bayswater until it was annexed by Ottawa in 1907.
Carleton Heights is a neighbourhood located in Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Meadowlands Dr, on the east by the Rideau River, on the south by the junction of Prince of Wales Drive and Fisher Avenue and on the Nepean side Fisher Glen and on the west by Fisher Avenue and the Nepean side Parkwood Hills. The neighbourhood is sometimes referred to as Hog’s Back after the nearby falls. The total population of the neighbourhood is 8,157 according to the Canada 2006 Census. The main street is Normandy Cr.
Carleton Heights homes were developed after World War II. Most of the homes were not built until 1950. More homes were built in the 1960s and 1970s. The ‘vet’ homes were built on half acre lots and the owners sold off half the lot on which new more expensive homes were built beginning in the ’60s. Most of the ‘vet’ homes are still there. Carleton Heights has a community centre which is adjacent to the Carleton Heights Curling Club and Carleton Heights Public School.
Central Park is a recently developed neighbourhood in River Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the east by Merivale Road, on the south by Baseline Road, on the west by Clyde Avenue and on the north by the Carlington neighbourhood. The population of the neighbourhood is 3,403 in an area of 0.91 km2. It more than doubled its population between 2001 and 2006 as the neighbourhood expanded.
The neighbourhood is fairly new, having been built in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Before Central Park was built, it was originally part of the Central Experimental Farm until the City of Ottawa bought it. The community used to be a wooded area. Central Park is known for its New York City themed street names. The name of the neighbourhood itself is taken from Central Park.
The neighbourhood includes the Boy Scouts of Canada Museum as well as a park, called Celebration Park. There are many small parks in the neighbourhood such as “Alphabet Park”. Many apartments, town-homes and single family homes are in the neighbourhood, developed by the builder Ashcroft. There is also a retirement community, Park Place by Alavida Lifestyles. For shopping there is a plaza at the corner of Central Park and Merivale Road, Laurentian Place, a close distance to Westgate Shopping Centre and big box stores on Merivale Road .
There are many young families in the neighbourhood and there is a big range for schools. Children can go to Agincourt Public School (both English and French Immersion, WE Gowling (English only), Broadview Public School,or Sir Winston Churchill Public School (K-Grade 8). For Middle school, they can go to JH Putman (6-8) or Fisher Park Public School. Laurentian High School was originally the community’s high school. However, the city decided in 2005 to tear down the school and sell the land. The former high was bought by Smart Centers and was demolished in 2009 and in 2011 became Laurentian Place featuring Walmart and other stores. For high schools, students go to Nepean High School, Glebe, Woodroffe, Elizabeth Wyn Wood or Merivale High School. It is also a short distance from Algonquin College and Carleton University.
Copeland Park is a neighbourhood located in College ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded to the west by Agincourt Road, to the south by Baseline Road, to the east by Clyde Avenue and to the north by the Central Experimental Farm Pathway.
The community was built in the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1970s, a 21-storey high-rise called the Castle Hill was built at the corner of Castle Hill Crescent and Clyde Avenue. The high-rise is owned by Minto. During that same decade more townhouses and three high-rises were built on Baseline Road at Clyde Avenue. The neighbourhood is mostly surrounded by woods.
The neighbourhood is home to Copeland Park on Navaho Drive, Agincourt Park and Greenlawn Park. There are two schools: Agincourt Public School and Tancook Bell School (also home to a daycare, the building was St. Daniel’s Catholic School until 2001) Laurentian High School was located on the corner of Baseline and Clyde until it closed in 2005 to make way for a Wal-Mart shopping complex and an office building. The community is also home to Trinity United Church, located on Maitland Avenue. The population of the neighbourhood is roughly 4150.
Courtland Park is a sub-neighbourhood of Carleton Heights in River Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Baseline Road, on the east by the Rideau River, on the south by Dynes Road and on the west by Fisher Avenue. Prince of Wales Drive runs thorough the neighbourhood.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the neighbourhood was 2,807 (including apartments east of Prince of Wales and north of Hog’s Back)
The development took place after World war II to the 1960s. Most of the homes were considered as ‘vet houses”. Some townhouses were built in the 1970s and early 1980s. Many of the vet homes have been demolished and turn into newer, more expensive, infill homes. Today, there are only a few vet homes left. The streets east of the Prince of Wales are Lampman, Villa, Forest Hill and Maryland.
The neighbourhood is home to the Ottawa Hellenic Community Centre, the Torah Academy of Ottawa, McGregor Easson Public School, which closed in 2010, St. Augustine Catholic School and Lexington Park.
Parts of the neighbourhood was originally a drive-in movie theater called Auto Sky Drive-In. It ran from 1949 until 1981. The theatre was located at Baseline at Fisher. After the theatre was dismantled, a detached housing condominium was built by the Thomas C. Assaly Corporation. The new streets were Malibu, Ambridge and Courtland.
Glabar Park is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward, in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the west by Fairlawn Avenue, north by Carling Avenue, south by The Queensway and on the east by Maitland Avenue. The population at the 2011 census was about 2,650.
The neighbourhood was first built in the late 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. In 1985 townhouses on Esterlawn Private were built which is off Fairlawn Avenue just behind Fairlawn Centre. Today a few houses on Carling Avenue have demolished and turned into low-rise apartments.
The neighbourhood is home to D. Roy Kennedy Public School, St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, and the Seventh-day Adventist Church of Ottawa. It is home to two parks, Kingsmere Park and Castlewood Park. Kingsmere Park is the park with more of a social setting, it features a large wading pool in the summer, and a double-sized hockey and skating rink in the winter. These amenities are provided by the City of Ottawa. Fairlawn Mall is on Carling Avenue across from Carlingwood.
Hampton Park (French: Parc Hampton) is a park and neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward, in the west end of Ottawa. It is directly north of the Queensway at Island Park Drive. The neighbourhood, referred to as Hampton-Iona by its community association is sometimes considered a sub-neighbourhood of the Westboro area. The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by Tweedsmuir Avenue, on the east by Island Park Drive on the north by Richmond Road and the south by Carling Avenue. The population of the neighbourhood was 2,852 according to the Canada 2011 Census.
The area was first developed in 1910 by J.C. Brennan who shares his name with Brennan Avenue which is a residential street in the area. The neighbourhood is full of youth and lies quite near Hampton Park Plaza and Richmond Road. The park is maintained by the National Capital Commission.
Many streets in the Hampton Park neighbourhood are named for upper-class neighbourhoods of London, including Kensington, Piccadily, Mayfair, and Windsor. The name Hampton Park might itself be named after the neighbourhood of Hampton in London.
Hampton Park has a fairly long history in the context of parks in the city of Ottawa. Baseball games were played in the park at least far back as 1916. An Ottawa Citizen article from the time indicates that the park was the location of a Trolley Line Baseball League game between Britannia and Ottawa West.
The park itself has existed in Ottawa’s west end for almost 100 years. The area was purchased by the Federal District Commission (now the National Capital Commission) in 1927. The park is several blocks in length and has a flat grassy area with benches as well as a wooded area with paths which is mainly used by people walking their dogs.
The area of the park just north of the Queensway contains a basketball court, two baseball diamonds, a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a playground, swings, and changing room facilities.
Dogs are allowed in Hampton Park on-leash, but many people still allow their dogs off-leash in the northern part of the park. City of Ottawa by-law officers have been seen in the park, but it is unclear whether they have jurisdiction in the NCC-operated park. There is also another park in the neighbourhood called Iona Park.
Highland Park is a sub-neighbourhood of Westboro, in the Kitchissippi Ward in Ottawa, Canada. It is located between Carling Avenue and Richmond Road, Churchill Avenue and Denbury Ave. It is a prominently upper-class area that contains some large luxury homes closer to Richmond Road and a large number of middle-class low-rise apartment buildings closer to Carling Avenue. The population of the neighbourhood according to the Canada 2011 Census was 4,070.
Nepean High School is a prominent part of the community as is the Highland Park itself which has a tennis court, baseball diamond and field which can be used for football or soccer. Dovercourt Recreation Center features meeting halls and a swimming pool.
The Highland Park area is part of the Ottawa Centre riding federally, which has voted for the New Democratic Party since 2004. Paul Dewar is the current MP for Ottawa Centre. The last federal Liberal to hold the riding was Mac Harb in 2003. The last federal Progressive Conservative to hold the riding was Robert de Cotret in 1979. Highland Park is also part of the Ottawa Centre riding provincially. Yasir Naqvi of the Ontario Liberal Party has been the MPP for this riding since 2007.
Hintonburg is a neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward in Ottawa, located west of the Downtown core. It is a historically working-class, predominantly residential neighbourhood, with a commercial strip located along Wellington Street West. It is home to the Parkdale Farmer’s Market, located along Parkdale Avenue, just north of Wellington.
Its eastern border is the O-Train Trillium Line, just west of Preston Street, with Centretown West / Somerset Heights neighbourhood to the east. To the north it is bounded by the transitway (originally the Canadian Pacific Railway main line), along Scott Street, with Mechanicsville beyond. To the south it is bounded by the Queensway (originally the Canadian National Railway main line) (417 Highway) and to the west by Holland Avenue (Hintonburg Community Association borders) or as far west as . Using the community association’s borders, the population of the neighbourhood is 7581 (2011 Census).
Hintonburg is very mixed in its character. The land use is very mixed, and this is due to its predating land zoning rules. The area has a mix of heritage buildings and recent additions.
In its April 2007 issue, enRoute magazine named Hintonburg one of the top ten emerging neighbourhoods in Canada. The same month, Ottawa Magazine said Hintonburg is “hot” and credits the QUAD arts district as the reason residents think we’re “cool”. Then in June 2007, the Financial Times noted that the ‘Burg is “thriving again”. It is also home to The Hintonburger a local burger shop that has won Ottawa’s Best Burger award.
The area to the north of Wellington is very mixed, and can be characterised as being in transition. Some industry still exists just south of Scott to the west of Parkdale. The north-east area is almost completely residential, of one-hundred-year-old wood ‘clapboard’ homes, with a small village/enclave nature. Many of the homes are very small, reflecting the late 1800s typical worker’s homes. The area north of Wellington was once considered part of the “Mechanicsville” neighbourhood, not Hintonburg, but the expansion of the Transitway and Scott Street have cut off this section from the area to the north.
The area to the south of Wellington is almost entirely residential of brick-veneer wood-frame construction dating to the 1910 to 1920s. There is very little commercial activity south of Wellington, except for the Fairmont Confectionery / Sam’s Café (Thai and Vietnamese food) at the intersection of Fairmont and Gladstone Avenues, and along the O-Train Trillium Line to the east, where the Canadian Bank Note Company operates a large facility and there are some industrial buildings along Breezehill.
To the west of Holland, the area is known as Elmdale. The basic pattern of land-use continues. To the south of Wellington, entirely residential. To the north, mainly residential, with smaller homes close to Scott reflecting the time when a railway ran nearby. The road known as Wellington ends here, and continues west as Richmond Road, at one time leading to the village of Richmond. Commercial activity along this street is predominantly independent businesses and offices.
Businesses on Wellington are characterised by a mixture of largely proprietor-operated retail and service shops. In the east, Wellington has not completely recovered from its being bypassed in the 1960s. Several vacant and/or underutilized properties exist. To the west, Wellington is busier, and commercial activities are thriving due to the proximity of Tunney’s Pasture and the Parkdale Market. Bars and restaurants have multiplied, especially along the stretch from Parkdale to Holland. The businesses along Wellington have grouped themselves under the banner of “Wellington West” to promote their businesses.
Holland Avenue, a four-lane north-south avenue leading directly south of Tunney’s Pasture, has developed a stretch of restaurants and commercial businesses to serve the government complex. At the corner of Holland and Wellington, the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre was opened in 2007 for live theatre.
Parkdale Avenue, a two-lane north-south avenue is a busy road. When the Queensway was built in the 1960s, Parkdale was chosen for an interchange rather than the four-lane Holland Avenue. This leads to daily traffic jams at “rush hour.” At its north end, some vestiges of the industrial area along the Scott Street rail line exist and are being converted into artists’ space. The popular warm-weather Parkdale Market, a farmer’s market, just north of Wellington is the home of about 20 stalls, of local and imported produce and flowers. To the south of Wellington, it is residential on both sides.
Hintonburg is home to the QUAD. The QUAD, an acronym that stands for Quartier des artistes / Arts District, blends cultural expression, community spirit and heritage character to create a special neighbourhood that embraces all arts disciplines, was established in 2003. Several galleries have opened since 2006 in the vicinity of the Parkdale Market.
In 2005, the Hintonburg community Association (HCA) launched the ArtsPark annual event in the Parkdale Market featuring the works of Ottawa artists and musicians to highlight the community’s growing role as an arts district in the city. Regular activities are put on at the Hintonburg Community Centre, including outdoor films in the summer.
Hintonburg is the long-time home of the Orpheus Musical Theatre Society, located on Fairmont Avenue. The Society produces several musical productions every year. The productions are mounted at the Centrepoint Theatre in Nepean. In 2007 the Great Canadian Canadian Theatre Company (GCTC) relocated to Hintonburg, in a new theatre built at Holland and Wellington. GCTC produces original Canadian plays.
Hintonburg features a few old churches. Including Saint-François d’Assise parish. It was established in 1890 by members of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin from France with construction of a church and monastery (since demolished). In 1902, the buildings were enclosed by a stone wall, the remnants of which today enclose Hintonburg Park. In 1913, the present larger gothic church was built to accommodate the growing parish, reflecting the strong Francophone character of Hintonburg at this time. Today this impressive edifice dominates the neighbourhood and its bells toll the Angelus at noon and 6:00 p.m., as well as a call to Mass (liturgy).
Originally part of Nepean Township the area was first settled in 1826, growing in size the village of Hintonburg was incorporated as a village in 1893. It was named after Joseph Hinton, a community leader who died in 1884. As the city of Ottawa grew it expanded west and Hintonburg was annexed to Ottawa in 1907. The Ahearne’s Ottawa Street Railway Company ran a street car line through the area, continuing along further west along Byron Avenue (now a recreational path) and it soon became home to mostly blue collar workers who commuted into downtown.
Hintonburg used to be on the main road leading west from downtown Ottawa. Wellington Street, which starts at Parliament Hill, runs through the center of the neighbourhood to this day. Originally, the area north of Wellington was considered Mechanicsville, but over time this has changed. When the NCC took over Lebreton Flats in the 1960s, the bridge over the north-south rail line linking the central Wellington street to the Hintonburg section was demolished, and the central Wellington street was linked to Scott street, making a bypass for the automobile traffic. This has led to a decline in commercial business along Wellington street. At one time, there was a department store at the crossroads of Somerset and Wellington, it was for a while the location of the used goods charity Ottawa Neighbourhood Services and is now mostly used for offices.
The 1950s and 1960s was a time of great change in the area. The federal government built the Tunney’s Pasture office campus at the north end of Holland Avenue. The rail line along Scott Street was closed and eventually became the Transitway bus roadway. To the south, the Queensway/417 was built, partly on old rail lines, and partly directly through demolition of homes along its path. This provided another bypass around the area, and also lead to an increase of automobile traffic along Parkdale.
When a major effort to remove prostitutes from the Byward Market area was made in the early 1990s, the strip along Wellington at Somerset became an area of “streetwalkers.” One notorious bar, named “The Grads”, located at Somerset and Bronson, burned down. It moved to Bayswater and Somerset, bringing its clientele, which used drugs. One incident outside its premises, where a man was beaten to death, led to its closure. By then the surrounding area had become known for its prostitutes, something which was only eradicated through regular crackdowns. The local Community Association worked with police and other city agencies to step up enforcement efforts against drug houses in an effort to reduce prostitution- and drug-related challenges. In one controversial development, residents had targeted “johns” by tracking and publishing partial licence plates. The Ottawa-Carleton Police set up a ‘john school’ whereby first-time offenders could attend instead of paying a fine and learn the effects of their trade. Community efforts were recognized with an award in 2009 for helping transform Hintonburg into a place with one of the lowest calls for police services in Ottawa.
The area continues to change. In the late 1980s, the Hintonburg Community Association (HCA) was formed, and the local residents now have a better voice in community issues and local City of Ottawa activities. The Hintonburg Community/Recreation Centre was opened, and several in-fill developments have occurred. Several of the older industrial buildings and cottages have become space to artists. The area is adapting to a new role, that of central-area residential neighbourhood, and is comparable to others in Ottawa.
In 2003, HCA published Hintonburg & Mechanicsville: A Narrative History by John Leaning, (ISBN 0-9732919-0-7); it is available in some local bookshops and through the association. A heritage walking tour of the neighbourhood is also available on their website.
In 2005, the Parkdale Fire Station, built in 1923, was renovated into commercial space. It had served as a fire hall until 1986. It then housed a food bank and artists’ studios. It was named a heritage building in 1996. It is one of only four pre-1945 fire stations left in Ottawa, 1 on Bruyère St built in 1896, 1 on Aurthur St built in 1913 and another on Sunnyside Dr built in 1921. Its renovation was one of the first and one of the last projects funded under federal heritage building restoration funds.
Connaught Public School is a public elementary school on Gladstone Avenue near Parkdale Avenue.
Devonshire Community School is a public elementary school at the intersection of Somerset Street and Breezehill Avenue. Fisher Park Public School is a public middle school at the intersection of Holland Avenue and the 417 highway. It was formerly a high school. Ecole elementaire Saint-Francois d’Assise is an elementary school, run by the Catholic Board, on Melrose Avenue. It is a francophone school. It struggled to attract students in the 1990s but was able to recover through efforts of parents.
- Patrick John Mills Contemporary Fine Art Gallery (America Originated)
- Kitchen Wall Gallery
- Parkdale Gallery
- Cube Gallery
- 4m2 Four square metres gallery
- Lorraine “Fritzi” Yale Gallery
- Gladstone Clayworks Pottery Co-Op
- Enriched Bread Artists, located since 1992 in a former bread factory built by Cecil Morrison in 1924; the building is adorned with the Latin proverb: Audaces Fortuna Juvat, meaning Fortune Favors the Bold.
- The Stables Art Studios
- Gallery 3
Kenson Park is a neighbourhood located in the west end of Ottawa. Its bounded to the east by Woodroffe Avenue, to the north highway 417, to the south Baseline Road, and to the west by Pinecrest Creek and the OC Transpo Transitway.
The neighbourhood was built in the 1950s. It features Kenson Park, which is located on Adirondack Drive. Iris Street runs through the neighbourhood. Iris Bus Station is a short distance away from the neighbourhood as well as the NCC bike path.
Island Park (also known as Wellington Village) is a neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Scott Street, on the west by its namesake, Island Park Drive, on the south by The Queensway and on the east by Holland Avenue. The Island Park Community Association just covers homes on Island Park Drive, and the rest of the neighbourhood is covered by the Wellington Village Community Association. The neighbourhood was originally named Elmdale for the number of elm trees in the area, and was founded in 1922.
The homes were built between the 1920s and 1940s. The population of Island Park at the 2011 census was 4,225. The neighbourhood is home to two public schools (Fisher Park and Elmdale), one Catholic School (St. George) one park (Fisher Park).
The neighbourhood is home to the western half of Wellington Street West BIA which extends into neighbouring Hintonburg. The area is served on Ottawa’s Transitway by Tunney’s Pature Station, which runs along the neighbourhood’s northern border, parallel to Scott Street.
McKellar Heights is a small neighbourhood located in Kitchissippi Ward, in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Carling Avenue, on the west by Maitland Drive, on the south by The Queensway and on the east by Clyde Avenue. The population as of the 2011 Census was 557.
The neighbourhood is home to the Jewish Community Campus of Ottawa. The campus features the Soloway Jewish Community Centre, Hillel Lodge (a nursing home), and Hillel Academy School. It is also home to St. Basil’s Church and Evergreen Park. There is also a small business park west of Clyde.
McKellar Park (also known as just McKellar) is a neighbourhood located in Kitchissippi Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is sometimes considered to be part of the greater Westboro area. It is bounded on the east by Denbury Avenue, on the south and west by Sherbourne Avenue and on the north by the Ottawa River. It is considered a trendy and expensive area, being close to the Westboro Village.
The population is roughly 2800 people (2011 census).
Mechanicsville is a neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward in central Ottawa. It is located to the west of downtown and bordered by the Ottawa River to the north, the O-Train Trillium Line to the east, Scott Street to the south, and Parkdale Avenue to the west. East of Mechanicsville is LeBreton Flats, Tunney’s Pasture is directly west, and Hintonburg is to the south. The total population of the neighbourhood as of the 2011 Census was 2,205.
Plan of subdivision was prepared and certified by Robert Sparks, P.L.Surveyor in 1872, it being the property of Mrs T.M. Blasdel & A.H.Baldwin Esq, and certified as a true copy of plan 35A, 7 June 1976by the Assistant Examiner of surveys. The Village of Mechanicsville being part of Lot 36 Concession A of Nepean. The limits were (Burnside) to the north and running down to the Ottawa River at the Sluce cutting; First street on the east (Stonehurst Avenue); Road allowance and the Canada Central Railway to the south (Scott Street); Fifth Street (Parkdale Avenue) to the west.
The first modest houses were probably built about 1875. They were of wood balloon frame covered with 1×12 inch planks inside and out with wood or other siding, with the foundations projecting four inches beyond the edge of the finished frame to take a brick finish as people became able to afford this luxury.
The area was annexed to the city of Ottawa in 1911. Some sources suggest that the name Mechanicsville arose after this annexation because it became home toblue collar workers, especially those who worked in the rail yards, or lumber and paper mills who had been displaced by the Great Fire of 1900. In fact, Mechanicsville was known by that name as early as 1879 when it was shown in Belden’s Historical Atlas of Carleton County in Nepean Twp., being part of Lot 36 in Concession A, Ottawa Front. Mechanicsville in 1879 was considerably smaller than the present day Ottawa neighbourhood. Its western boundary was then the present-day Parkdale Avenue.
In the 1950s and 1960s, when what is now known as the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway (formerly the Ottawa River Parkway) was being developed by the National Capital Commission, large sections of the neighbourhood along the river were expropriated and demolished. While this created green space, the parkway and on and off-ramps at Parkdale Avenue have also created a barrier to the waterfront.
In the 1970s and 1980s, expansion of Scott Street, and the development of the Transitway along the old rail line on Scott has served to cut off the area from the area south of Scott, which was at one time, considered part of the Mechanicsville neighbourhood.
The area is mostly residential, of wood-frame/wood siding 1900s era homes on grid streets. Along Parkdale Avenue, there are several newer highrise apartment buildings. To the east is an older industrial area along Bayview.
The neighbourhood has good bus access and has experienced infilling of town homes in recent years. These include both low and high income housing. In 2007 a serious fire affected some high density social housing and the neighbourhood helped the victims of this fire. Prominent landmarks include the Protection of the Holy Virgin Memorial Church and the Embassy of Indonesia.
Lincoln Heights (also known as Lincoln Heights – Parkway) is a neighbourhood in the Britannia area of Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded to the south by Carling Avenue, to the north by Mud Lake, to the west by Greeview Avenue, and to the east by the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway. The population of the neighbourhood is about 5800 (2011 Census)
The area is notable for its proximity to the Ottawa River and Mud Lake bird sanctuary. Lincoln Fields transit station is the main transit hub in the neighbourhood, and Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre is the main commercial centre.
There are many high-rise condominiums and apartments in the neighbourhood.
The Old Forge Community Resource Centre, which is located in a historic building, is a key community centre. Carlingwood Shopping Centre is just east of Lincoln Fields at the corner of Carling and Woodroffe Avenue.
Queensway Terrace North
Queensway Terrace North is a neighbourhood located in the west end of Ottawa. It bounded to the north by Carling Avenue, to the west Pinecrest Road, to the south the Queensway (Highway 417), and to the east OC Transpo Transitway. It is a neighbouring community of Britannia Heights and Queensway Terrace South. Together Queensway Terrace North and South were originally one neighbourhood until the Highway 417 (part of the Trans-Canada highway) was complete in the late 1960s.
A few people first settled in the neighbourhood in the late 1800s which was closer to Britannia. Most of the homes were built in the 1950s and early 1960s. In 1956 the Campeau Corporation acquired 114 acres of the Arkell farm on Pinecrest Road. By 1958 it was subdivided north of the C.N.R tracks (present day Highway 417) to form Queensway Terrace North. Campeau completed single family homes over 300 lots. A lot was reserved for Severn Public School.
The neighbourhood is very close to stores like Lincoln Fields Shopping Center, Bayshore Shopping Centre, Pinecrest Shopping Mall, IKEA and Carlingwood Shopping Centre. There are many destinations for public bus transportation; Pinecrest, Lincoln Fields and Queesnway bus station owned by OC Transpo. For recreation there is Frank Ryan Park, Elmhurst Woods, bike path, baseball diamonds and tennis courts. It is also very close to Britannia Beach.
Queensway Terrace North is also home to Queensview Business Park. The park features Leon’s, Goodlife fitness gym, OC Transpo bus garage, and many offices.
Grant Alternative School (formerly Grant Public School) is now a heritage site of Ottawa. The school was built in 1922 and closed in 1987. The school re-opened as an alternative school in 1991 and closed in 2007. As of 2013, the school will be renovated into a Francophone community center for the growth population of French people and a nursing home as well. It will also be part of a campus for La Cite Collegiate.
Qualicum-Graham Park or Qualicum is a suburban neighbourhood in College Ward in the City of Ottawa. It is located in the former City of Nepean in the west end of the city. Many of the residences in the area are executive homes situated on large lots (100×100) being built in the 1960s. Qualicum Street boasts large custom houses built by Bill Teron. The neighbourhood is bounded to the north by the Queensway, to the west by Richmond Road, to the south by Baseline Road, and to the east by Morrison Drive at the former Ottawa-Nepean border towards Redwood. Named after Qualicum Beach in British Columbia. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the total population of the neighbourhood was 1,715.
The neighbourhood was originally woods and farms. At the southwest tip of Qualicum the Bruce family owned the farm until the community’s development in 1961. Today the farm is Bruce Farm Park. The community was built between 1961 and 1967. Other main streets in the neighbourhood are Queensline and Beaumaris. Graham Creek meanders through the neighbourhood. Starts at the Bruce Pit Quarry near Trend-Arlington and ends at Andrew Hayden Park at the Ottawa River.
For schools there is Ecole Maimonides School (formerly Graham Park Public School) an private French school, Our Lady of Peace Catholic School in Bells Corners, Leslie Park, Grant Alternative (formerly Christie Public School), Knoxdale and Greenbank Middle School. For high schools there is St. Paul’s (formerly Sir John A. MacDonald High School), Franco Ouest, Sir Robert Borden and Bell high School (Ottawa). Maimondies was formerly Graham Park Public School. Graham Park operated from 1964 until 1988 due to a decline in population. The school was demoished in June 2011. In 2015, Kitsilano Court was built with newly developed homes on the former school grounds.
The community is close to many attractions and amenities. It is home to The Queensway Carleton HospitalThe which opened in 1976; was originally part of the Bruce farmland. It is very close to Bayshore Shopping Centre and Pinecrest Shopping Mall.
Parks in the neighbourhood include Mohawk, Okanagan, Qualicum, Valley Stream, and Nanamio/Graham Park. The Valley Stream Park is home to the Valley Stream Tennis Club. In 2010 a community centre was built in Graham Park which host the Qualicum-Graham Park Community Association monthly meetings.
Rideau View (also spelled Rideauview) is a sub-neighbourhood of Carleton Heights in River Ward, in the west-end of Ottawa, located near the Rideau River. It is bordered by Meadowlands Drive to the south, Claymor Avenue to the west and Dynes Road to the north. Debra Avenue is the main road that runs through the neighbourhood and there is some residential housing on Eiffel Avenue. Some of parts of the neighbourhoods are east of Prince of Wales Drive and runs parallel along the Rideau River. The area is also located close to the former city of Nepean. A major feature of the neighbourhood is a low-income housing project designed and built by the Ottawa Housing corporation. There are four high-rise condominiums on Prince of Wales at the corner of Dynes and Meadowlands. The population of this neighbourhood according to the Canada 2011 Census was 1880.
The area is home to a diverse population of Somali, Asian and Arab residents. Most people in the neighbourhood live under the poverty line and there is some crime in the area. A crime wave hit the area in the late 1980s and early 1990s when the neighbourhood was notorious for gun violence and drug trafficking. To prevent the neighbourhood from becoming plagued by crime, the police chief held a meeting with city officials to discuss options for decreasing crime in the neighbourhood. An increased police presence and undercover operations helped to reduce crime in the area and today the area is somewhat stable. A youth centre was opened by the Ottawa Police Service to provide alternatives for the youth to help them stay away from resorting to a life of crime and violence. The Debra-Dynes family house was opened as a community outreach centre and is located in the heart of the neighbourhood.
The Greek Festival is held every August at the Greek Orthodox Church on Prince of Wales.
It is home to Rideauview Bible Church, a Greek Orthodox Church, the Ukrainian Catholic Shrine and Temple Israel (a Synagogue). The schools that serve the neighbourhood are Brookfield High School, Carleton Heights Elementary School, St. Pius X High School and Carleton University.
Redwood is a neighbourhood located in Ottawa’s west end. The boundaries of the neighbourhood are Greenbank Road to the east, Baseline Road to the south, Morrison Drive (old Ottawa-Nepean border line) to the west and Highway 417 to the north. Its sister neighbourhoods are Qualicum, Leslie Park, and Queensway Terrace.
The majority of residents live in apartments and townhouses located on the east and west ends of the neighbourhood. Detached homes are closer to west side along Morrison Drive. The development in the area started in the 1960s and continued throughout the 1970s and 1980s. There are many strips of townhouses on Baseline Road and Draper Avenue. Draper Avenue also runs into the Qualicum community.
A community housing project called Morrison Gardens is located between Morrison, Draper, Lisa and Greenbank. The neighbourhood is known for crime due to street gangs mainly at Morrison and Draper. There is a diverse population of Somalis, Latinos and Arabs. There are two high-rise condominiums called the Redwoods Retirement Residence (bounded by Lisa, Draper and Greenbank) and Saxton and Birmingham Private which were built in the 1980s.
There are two schools in the area with both located next to each other on Draper Avenue:
St. Paul’s High School (Ottawa Catholic School Board 1999)-formerly Sir John A. MacDonald High School (which closed in 1987) and then used as Champlain Elementary School and College catholique Franco-Ouest by the Conseil des ecoles catholiques dy Centre-Est. Grant Alternative School (Ottawa-Carleton District School Board) – home of 120 elementary students (Kindergarten to Grade 6) that began in 1991 and moved to current site in 2007 from 2720 Richmond Road. The building was formerly Christie Public School from 1969 to 2007
Redwood is also home to two city parks:
- Morrison Park – a large sports-oriented park (2 soccer fields, track, basketball courts and baseball diamond) and shared with St. Paul’s High School
- Lisa Park – a parkette with playground and outdoor wadding pool
A Commercial area is located along north side of Morrison Drive parallel to Highway 417. There is business park which is home to Lee Valley Tools (2 locations, one as retail store), private college Everest College, Trane, Veritas, Legere, Starr Gymnastics and Fitness and many small offices and businesses.
Tunney’s Pasture is a 49-hectare (121-acre) campus in Ottawa, that is exclusively developed for federal government buildings. It is bordered by Scott Street to the south, Parkdale Avenue to the east, the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway to the north, and Northwestern Avenue to the west. While strictly speaking it is confined to this area, people living in the vicinity of it will often call the wider neighbourhood Tunney’s Pasture. The complex, home to some 10,000 employees, is served by Tunney’s Pasture Station on the transitway.
Before development in the early 1950s, this area was officially known as Lot 35, Concession A, Township of Nepean, and, as the name still indicates, it was used as a farmer’s pasture and named after Anthony Tunney who pastured his cows on the empty land.
As a young man, Anthony Tunney emigrated from Ireland to Ottawa in 1867 and married and built a house at 201 Parkdale Avenue. The owner of the pasture, the Ottawa Lumber Merchants’ Association, hired Tunney to be the caretaker of the land and allowed him to graze his cattle in the field. Although Tunney was able to claim ownership because he had been paying the taxes on the property, he never did so and the land was eventually sold by the association to the government.
In 1950, the property became part of the Greber Plan that envisioned it as a government employment centre within a quiet and secure park-like campus. From the 1950s to the 1960s, 18 low-rise buildings were constructed with modern, classical-inspired architecture and similar materials, massing, and scale. Most of these combined research and office functionality under one roof. Starting in the 1970s however, new buildings and additions were built that deviatated from Gréber’s vision, introducing high-rise office towers, new architectural styles, and cladding materials to the site.
Little development took place in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s. By 2011, most buildings were considered outdated and the site under-used. So Public Works and Government Services Canada has initiated a plan to redevelop the campus with new high-rise buildings and mixed-use commercial and residential space over a 25 year period. In all, the plan aims to double the number of federal employees to 20,000 and add between 800 to 1000 residential units.
Westboro (often referred to as Westboro Village) is an area in the west end of Ottawa. Located along the Ottawa River, the neighbourhood is bordered on the east by Island Park Drive. Westboro’s northern border is defined by the Ottawa River. Under this definition, the population of the area is 21,280 (2011 Census).
Its’ community association boundaries are the Transitway to the north, Tweedsmuir Avenue to the east, Carling Avenue to the south and Denbury Avenue to the west. This area excludes the neighbourhood of Westboro Beach, whose community association borders include the area immediately north of Westboro, west of Island Park Drive.
The neighbourhood got its start in the late nineteenth century, when flyers were published proclaiming ‘Move to Westboro,’ and offering prospective residents ‘views of the Laurentian Mountains.’ This slightly creative name for the distant geological formation along the Eardley escarpment is now better known as the Gatineau Hills. The Gatineau Hills can be seen across the Ottawa River.
Nineteenth-century descriptions of the neighbourhood refer to its location along the Macadam Road to Bells Corners. That road is now known as Richmond Road, and where it slices through Westboro it is the commercial heart of the Village-like neighbourhood, once the centre of the old Nepean Township. The old Town Hall on Richmond Road used to house the bell that later became the symbol of the former city of Nepean, now a part of the city of Ottawa. The Maplelawn Garden, boasting the second oldest building in Ottawa (built in 1831) and designated a National Historic Site, is located at the western edge of the village.
The other prominent street in Westboro Village is Churchill Avenue. This street was known as Main Street, but was renamed in honour of Winston Churchill following World War II. A few blocks to the west, another street was originally named River Road since it bisected the neighbourhood and led down to the beach on the Ottawa River. That street was renamed Roosevelt Avenue for similar post-war reasons. The renaming was also due to Westboro’s integration into Ottawa and that there were already streets named River Road and Main Street. One of the secondary streets in Westboro is Dovercourt Avenue; it starts at Kirkwood in Hampton Park and ends at Black Friars Drive near Carlingwood.
Westboro existed as a police village from 1903 to 1949 when it was annexed by Ottawa. An Ottawa streetcar line used to run along what is now a narrow grass strip along Byron Avenue, bringing Ottawa residents to an area once considered cottage country. Many cottage-like residences still exist today, especially by the Ottawa River north of Scott Street.
The Westboro War Memorial Association erected a memorial cenotaph in a Park between Richmond Road and Byron Avenue. Unveiled on 08 June 1985, the cenotaph is dedicated to the memory of the fallen members of Westboro and surrounding area who made the supreme sacrifice in The Great War, The Second World War, and the Korea War.
Westboro is a thriving community with a lively street scene. Several condominium projects are encouraging densification and promising to bring more people to the neighbourhood. The village features murals painted by a local artist. The neighbourhood also boasts a concentration of outdoors and sport stores including Mountain Equipment Co-Op, Vancouver-based Lululemon Athletica, Bushtukah, The Expedition Shoppe and Trailhead and is close to cycling trails and whitewater rapids in the Ottawa River. The influx of these outdoor and sports stores, along with a number of boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops on Richmond Road are considered to be a significant contributor to the gentrification that Westboro underwent in the 2000s.
The neighbourhood is served by two OC Transpo stations: Westboro and Dominion, as well as Route 2, which provides frequent local service along Richmond Road.
Westfest, a free Canadian arts and music festival, was previously held in Westboro from 2004-2015 during the second weekend in June, and featured a variety of local and national performers. It has now been moved to Laroche Park in Ottawa’s Mechanicsville area.
Woodpark is a small neighbourhood in Bay Ward, in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded in the north by Richmond Road, to the East by Woodroffe Avenue north, in the South by Carling Avenue and in the West by the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway. The total population of the neighbourhood according to the Canada 2011 Census was 2,159.
It is largely residential with commercial only on Carling Avenue. There is only one small park, New Orchard Park, within its boundaries, but both the Parkway and part of the Byron Strip are adjacent to it. It has no schools or churches.
The community was built in the 1940s and 1950s. Many apartments and condominiums were built in the 1970s on McEwen and Ambleside Drive, just north of Richmond Road. Woodpark was one of the communities in the west end to have a big development during that time.
Woodpark is served by buses on Carling, Woodroffe and Richmond Road, and is adjacent to the Carlingwood Shopping Centre. It is very close the NCC bikepath along the Ottawa River.
Woodroffe North (also known as just Woodroffe) is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the south by Richmond Road on the west by the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway, on the north by the Ottawa River and on the east by the northern prolongation of Sherbourne Avenue. Woodroffe North has also been referred to as a community within the neighbourhood of Westboro (also known as Westboro Village) which claims its western border to be Woodroffe Avenue.
The Woodroffe North Community includes residents that live on streets West of Woodroffe Avenue. Originally the homes used to be cottages same as Britannia. Most of the cottages were demolished and changed into houses. Lockhart Avenue is split up at Richmond Road and continues at Byron and ends at Saville Row in front of Carlingwood. The total population of the neighbourhood (2011 Census) is 3722.
Whitehaven (also spelled White Haven) is a neighbourhood located in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa, about 10 kilometres west of downtown. It is bounded by Carling Avenue to the north, Fairlawn Avenue to the east, the OC Transpo Transitway to the west and Highway 417 to the south. The population of the neighbourhood is about 2350 (2011 Census)
Whitehaven was developed on the lands of Fox farm starting in the 1950s. The Fox farm homestead can still be found on Fox Crescent in the north part of the neighbourhood with its windmill tower now shaded by a large tree. Originally the east side of the neighbourhood was subdivided into large lots, typically 50 by 50 metres. In the 1960s, the west side was developed with smaller lots but mostly large custom homes. At the same time, many lots in the east side of the neighbourhood were subdivided and infill housing was built. Subdivisions have continued through to today, giving Whitehaven a very eclectic housing character. Whitehaven Crescent was built up throughout the mid 1960s as the area’s namesake.
The south west side of the neighbourhood contains a large park with a playground, with schools including D. Roy Kennedy Public School and Woodroffe High School. In the 1960s there was also a public primary school which operated until 1999 called Whitehaven Public School. It was closed for a few years after much dispute and then was reopened and expanded as a French primary school, called Terre des Jeunes.
Whitehaven has plenty of transportation links, green space and shopping centres. The Carlingwood and Lincoln Fields shopping malls are within walking distance of the neighbourhood. Both shopping centres are serviced extensively by OC Transpo with Lincoln Fields being serviced by the lincoln Fields Transit Station on the Transitway. Whitehaven is also connected locally to a network of bike paths with direct access to downtown Ottawa.